One Thing Leads to Another



As Ty and I have changed things in our home over the past 8.5 years, we have found a style we both can agree on.  The most recent change this winter included the purchase of a new couch and chair this just before Christmas! What a fun time to get new furniture!! The couch we purchased at a large store not too far away and the chair we purchased online.   With 3 kids and pets we needed something durable, comfortable and not ugly. 


We choose a leather sectional in the color graphite.  It was a floor sample and for the life of me I can not remember what the brand is. Maybe one day I'll remember and update.  


<script async defer src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js"></script>

The chair is black distressed leather with stainless sides!  It looks very much like a chair we found at a high end "hardware" store.  I love it! We are still on the hunt for another chair for another part of the living room, maybe a chaise lounger!   

<script async defer src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js"></script>

Here's where the DIY comes in:

Like any good redecorating project, one thing just keeps leading to another.  We are still happy with the decorations on the walls and new flooring isn't in the budget this year. 
One change we could and needed to make was a new coffee table!!  The old coffee table looked silly. It was too small for our new sectional. 
Ty & I looked on design sites for ideas and something to inspire us for a table that would fit both our style and couch.  After a few days of looking and talking Ty approached me with an idea. He had two ideas for building our new coffee table. Both ideas involved slate.  I found slate for free on craigslist.org. It belonged to a 7' pool table. Perfect. Ty would cut the slate down to the right size after we built the base of the table. 
Option 1. was to use a scissor lift, and you can search and see lots of examples of a scissor lift tables and even from my favorite "hardware" store had a table as such for sale. I wasn't in love with the idea, but Ty had another option. Black Pipe. We spent the day before Christmas Eve with 4 kids in tow and we went shopping for all the pipe we needed. 
Ty did all the measuring and figuring.  I just did what I do best, push the cart and keep the kids from tearing the store apart. 
After we got home, fed the always hungry children we got to work constructing our table.  It came together fairly quickly.  The difficult part was getting everything lined up at the same time. 
Ty cut holes in 2x4's for the pipe to run through for supports for the slate top.  This will keep the heavy slate from cracking.

<script async defer src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js"></script>
You can see the wood supports under the table.

This table design I liked the best. 
The final dimensions ended up being bigger than planned but it works for the couch! 

AND...I found a home for the Found Dutch Tulip Tray I won from The Industrious Co. during one if their giveaways! 

<script async defer src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js"></script>

I'm still working on decorating this and it's changed from Christmas decor to 'normal' decor including some of my antique books and hymnals and other treasures. Even the 'normal' decor has changed since I took these photos. 


 <script async defer src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js"></script>

This table was fun to build and it's a unique piece of furniture! 

<script async defer src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js"></script>



**I did not get a step by step of this DIY, if you would like more info please feel contact us!**






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sew Simple Shoulder Rest Pouch

Bamboozled